Friday 7 February 2014

Dinner for Two

Just us two for dinner tonight since DS1 is working another late shift. We've agreed to have one special meal a week now we're getting more alone time.  

DH cooked the main course, a spicy minced pork and rice recipe.







I made his favourite raspberry trifle with whipped cream topping for dessert. 



 
It might be a special meal-for-two but there's no need to go mad on the expense; all the ingredients except the double cream for the trifle came from my stockpile. The cream was a large carton from Aldi for 85p. We were going to go the whole hog and have candles on the table but I don't have any fancy ones, so that will have to wait for next time when I've had a chance to take a look in Poundland. Of course, it would have been more romantic if DH hadn't gone crazy with the chilli powder. I like hot spicy food, but snotty nose and runny eyes is not a sexy look on anyone. It was pretty delicious, though.

We've actually had mostly dry weather today. Although it was drizzling when I popped round Aldi about 9.30 it cleared up and was quite nice. The wind has really picked up this evening and its supposed to rain overnight...no surprise there! Tomorrow's supposed to be showery but with some dry spells. I know, despite the winds and rain, we're lucky down here in Dover, and my heart really goes out to everyone coping with terrible storms and flooding. 

I've done quite a bit of knitting this afternoon and finished another sock. I need to get a move on and complete the pair by next Thursday so I can give them to DH for Valentine's on Friday. He loves the scarf I made for him for Xmas and says he thinks of me every time he wears it (he can be a soppy sod sometimes) so I'm hoping the socks will also be a welcome gift. 

That's about it for today. Nothing much happening, but that's okay with me. 




2 comments:

  1. Aww you two pair of romantics!! Chilli has the same effect on me! I use it as a cold remedy! Am sat up knitting the baby cardi as the wind woke me. The kitchen floor is already mopped. The HG is fast asleep still and we know better than to expect the boy to surface before lunch! Those teens really do need their sleep!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahhh, that's so sweet! You do make me laugh, snotty nose and runny eyes indeed! I love my children dearly but I'm so looking forward to having more time with Malc when the children are more independent!

    ReplyDelete