Thursday 7 January 2016

Wet, Wet, Wet

Not Wet, Wet, Wet the band, but the weather. I didn't open the sitting room curtains this morning until after 10am. I could hear what it was like outside and didn't need to see the depressing sight. It was still so dark that even with the curtains opened I would have needed to keep the light on anyway.

It is a bit brighter now and the rain is due to stop shortly so I will then venture into town. I have 2 library books to collect and DS1 and I might go in for our weekly coffee/snack together. His turn to pay as DH and I treated him twice over the Xmas holidays.

I've made curried parsnip and carrot soup in my soup maker using up a few yellow-stickered parsnips and some carrots sticks from the fridge that were starting to dry out. I've decided not to buy rolls but to do toasted bacon sandwiches as I have 2 large loaves and some other odds and ends of bread in the freezer. 

I have also done 2 loads of laundry despite the bad weather. With 2 twenty-something sons in the house I do still get an awful lot of dirty washing and need to keep on top of it. I don't possess a tumble drier (no space and too expensive to run) so I hung the light load to dry over the radiators while they were on for 15 minutes when I first got up. Once turned off the residual heat meant that load was best part dry by the time the darks were finished. The darks are now directly on the radiators instead and they will get the full heat when it goes on again later today. The lights are now hung over the radiator airers to finish off drying. For socks and pants etc. in the kitchen I have some of those cheap plastic hanging driers with pegs attached. If I need more drying space I also have a couple of collapsable driers I inherited 10 years ago from my mum, but I don't use them often now there are only 4 of us. Of course, in better weather, everything gets hung out in the yard and just aired indoors before folding and putting away. I rarely iron anything. If any of the family want something ironed they know where the board and iron are. LOL!!!

That's my exciting day so far. The rain has stopped so I'm off out. Hope you're all having a good day.

Love, Helen xx

6 comments:

  1. A fellow non-ironer! But then we don't really wear anything that needs ironing...even husband's work trousers and polo shirt don't require it, thank goodness. Ironing and vacuuming are the 2 jobs I loathe the most.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind vacuuming, but ironing I always find mind-numbing.Most of our clothes don't really need ironing. Anyway, isn't the rumpled look all the rage? Rachel has given me a new word...I 'smooth' things and fold them neatly. If they really want something ironed they can do it themselves.

      Delete
  2. I am doing the occasionaly wash load to add a bit of moisture to the air. It is so cold outdoors that I have the log burner going constantly just lately. The air gets real ly dry indoors. I haven't been able to dry oudoors for manyweeks and it a real shame as I love that lovely 'fresh air' smell that outdoor drying adds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's already enough moisture in the air in our old house from condensation, which is why we get so much black mould. But I have to get washing dry somehow so over the radiators it goes. I also prefer to hang it outdoors when the weather permits. Roll on the spring and hopefully better drying weather.

      Delete
  3. Another fellow non ironer! I smooth things! Boys really are work makers! Jeans are the worst things! Mine wears those skinny ones that always always land at the washer with one leg in n one out, no matter how much nagging I do!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those skinny jeans are a real nuisance. Socks are another thing, I hate turning them right way through. I love that word...smooth. I can say now that I don't iron, I smooth. I always smooth things out and fold them neatly, even pants and socks get folded as they they fit into drawers more easily. I just hate spending hours on my feet ironing, so I don't do it.

      Delete