Sunday 10 January 2016

Christmas Dinner Take 2

Not knowing until the last minute how many I was catering for at Christmas, I over-ordered like mad and consequently had loads of untouched food left in the freezer. DD3 and her fiance came to Sunday lunch today. As they had spent Christmas in France, some of that extra food came out of the freezer and made a second Christmas dinner for 6 of us. We had turkey breast roast, stuffed pork roast, cocktail sausages, sausagemeat stuffing, potatoes roasted in goose fat, roast parsnips, yorkshire puds, sprouts with bacon, baby carrots, whole green beans and turkey gravy. I made a raspberry trifle and there was also Viennetta and squirty cream for dessert. And very nice it was too.

In the freezer I still have 2 bacon joints, a quorn roast, some quorn gammon steaks and a vegetarian chestnut and parsnip roast, plus some frozen roast potatoes and parsnips; enough to make another couple of dinners. And today's leftovers will make tomorrow's dinner with chips and beans. I might have bought far too much food for Christmas but none of it will be wasted. 

The weather's been changeable here today, some heavy rain but also clear periods. With the cooking to do and our visitors here this afternoon I only managed to get out for a short walk of 3000 steps, but then I had done over 13,000 yesterday. Tomorrow is supposed to be really wet all day so I will have to brave the rain if I want to go out. Maybe just a trip to the library to return a book, and to the vet to pay a bill. It's definitely colder and the heating's been on a couple of times, and we're expecting the temperature to drop further during the week. If it snows I'll be hibernating...pretty to look at but I hate going out in the stuff. Also, if the roads are blocked and DH can't get to work, or the school's closed because of snow, he won't get paid. Mind you, it was nice not to have to put the lights on until after 4pm today. Finally the days are starting to draw out a bit.

I haven't blogged about any crafting stuff for ages because I haven't done much except knit blanket squares. They're easy to do and don't take much concentration. I'm currently knitting a long (very long) border for a blanket. It's tedious, only 8 stitches and garter stitch, but I can easily knit while watching TV and it is growing quite quickly. The blanket is made up of multi-coloured squares using all the small odds and ends of wool I've had hanging around for so long I can't recall where they came from (some probably inherited from mum and she died 10 years ago). I'll post pictures when it's finished. 

I think that's all for now. I hope everyone's managing to keep warm. Love, Helen xx

6 comments:

  1. Hi Helen, New follower here, that food sounded lovely, very cold in lancs today think we may have snow soon, can't wait to see the blanket. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Sammie, nice to meet you. I don't envy you if you get snow. It's getting colder by the day here. I'd better get a move on with the blanket, I think we might need it soon.

      Delete
  2. I feel stuffed just reading that! I've yet to break 10,000 steps in a day.. According to my new watch I'm up to about 9000! I need to up my game more. Instead of standing in one spot on duty this week I'm going to do laps of the playground!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 9000 is good. The FitBit app on my phone only tracks when I'm out of the house (I think it works like a GPS) but I'm sure I must do at least another 1000 around the house just doing my daily bits and pieces.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Christmas Dinner #2 sounds delicious. What a feast! My fitbit tracks every step I take. It even counts the 8 steps to the bathroom in the middle of the night!!lol

    ReplyDelete