Sunday 3 January 2016

Tuna and Sweetcorn Pie

Although I'm trying to use up some of the food I already have, I'm also looking for new things to make rather than just preparing the same meals all the time. So, I got out some of my many cook books and found this recipe in the Hairy Bikers' Perfect Pies book using ingredients I already had on my shelves and in the cupboards.

If you click on the pictures you should be able to read the original recipe and see the photo of their version and below is my attempt. 


 
My Version Before Baking
After baking
On the plate with mashed potato and steamed kale

I got quite creative making fishes with the leftover pastry to decorate the top. It was absolutely delicious. I baked it in my new deep enamel pie dish that I bought in a lovely old fashioned cookware shop when we went to visit my daughter in Cheltenham in October. She bought me a second one for Christmas so I can make an extra pie to freeze.
 
The ingredients I used were:-
 
Aldi ready rolled shortcrust pastry - 95p (I'm not good at making my own pastry so usually buy it)
2 x Tuna in Brine - £1.25 (4 tins for £2.50 in Poundstretcher)
4 Tablespoons Aldi Mayonnaise approx - 15p (79p a jar;I used full fat but I'm sure Light would work)
400g tin Heinz sweetcorn - 33p (B & M Stores)
75g Aldi grated mature cheddar approx 45p (Aldi 250g for £1.49)
Spring Onions - 10p (I used half of a tub I'd bought yellow-stickered for 19p from Morrisons salad bar, but spring onions are 29p a bunch in Aldi at present)
Black pepper 2p
Milk to glaze 2p (cheaper than using an egg)
 
Total cost £3.27 and I got 6 portions from it (4 yesterday and 2 for my boys today) at approx 55p a portion.
 
The 4 portions were served with a pack of Aldi mashed potato at 69p and Asda Kale (on offer for 50p a bag) which added 30p to each serving. 
 
The 2 remaining portions were served with half a pack of Aldi potato wedges at 35p and frozen peas at approx 40p which added 38p a serving. 
 
Are you trying anything new on the kitchen front this month, or still using up leftovers?

Really wet and windy here today. Hope it's not too terrible where you are. Have a good evening. Love Helen xx
 
 







4 comments:

  1. I think your pie looks better than theirs! It's leftover roast beef for us tonight. Yum

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am working my way through leftovers and RTC bargains from the freezer. Yesterday was roast shoulder of pork, tonight it will be Leek, bacon and sweetcorn pie, tomorrow I will dice some of the pork and put it into a spicy tomato sauce and have it with home made Naan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That pie sounds (and looks) great! I think I will be trying that, tuna and sweetcorn is a popular combination here too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks like a hearty meal. Tonight I used up some chicken in a pie and it isn't cold in Australia. But it was a change.

    ReplyDelete