Friday 1 May 2015

Instant Herb Garden

Firstly I want to say how overwhelmed I am by the lovely comments people have left me after my last post. Thank you all so much for missing me and welcoming me back.

This is a quick post just to show you the lovely potted herbs I bought today in Aldi and Morrisons. 





There are 6 small pots from Aldi for £2.99 containing chives, oregano, mint, parsley, thyme and sage. As there was no coriander, which I use a lot of in soups, I bought a lovely big plant from Morrisons for 99p. The only other herb I now need that I use regularly is rosemary so I'll keep a look out for one of those. I love using fresh herbs - although I'm not a purist and think dried can be just as good in most cases - but I'm rubbish at growing them from seed, so I'm hoping I can manage to keep these plants alive.

I'm off to Margate tomorrow (well, the Westwood Cross shopping centre just outside Margate). We're going to be looking for a suit for DH for the wedding. I finally have my entire outfit (except tights), having bought a cheap set of stud earrings and nose stud from Primark when I was in Canterbury yesterday. They look the part and that's all that matters. Only 4 weeks to go now.

I hope everyone has a lovely bank holiday weekend, whatever the weather. Love, Helen x

8 comments:

  1. I use masses of herbs, coriander and basil figure in many recipes and I grow them from seed in the greenhouse and on my windowsills. I use dried basil along with the fresh as it has a warm taste. Luckily(?) I have a large patch of mint, the bigger leaves make sauce, dressings and liven up lots of hot dishes, while the small tip leaves get thrown in to just about every salad. I have a decent herb garden and most of it is in pots, I have to be able to move them into the greenhouse in the winter or the rain would be too much for most. Good luck with the suit hunt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd forgotten about Basil. I'll have to buy a basil plant too. I love camembert, sliced tomato and fresh basil in a crusty bread sandwich. We bought a suit this morning in a sale at our local outlet centre. Still have to get him a shirt, tie and shoes. His outfit will have cost double mine but then his last suit lasted for 30 years and I doubt if I'd still be wearing the same dress in 30 years time. LOL!

      Delete
  2. Hope you find a suit x we've had quite a bit of rain here on Dorset but most has been overnight so we can still go out in the daytime without getting too wet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We bought his suit this morning at our local outlet centre. They had a 20% off sale. We still need to get shirt, tie and shoes, but at least we have the main item.

      Delete
  3. Hello, just discovered you are back, lovely to "see" you again. Sorry to hear about your down days etc but I'm glad you are getting out and about to see the music events. 2 coincidences - We are preparing for a wedding too - our eldest later this month. And our youngest has just split from her partner after 10 years together! and is coming to live here after 8 years away.
    Hope you keep blogging now you've returned

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the welcome back, Sue. What day is your daughter getting married...ours is on 30th May? Sorry to hear about your son, I'm sure it will take time to adjust to him being back home...for him too. Hope all worls out well. Love, Helen x

      Delete
  4. The herbs look lovely. I have nver managed to grow coriander but love having them at hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suze. The coriander isn't doing too well but I think that might be because its one of the 'living herbs' from the fresh herb section of the supermarket rather than herbs specifically meant to be kept and grown. The others are thriving and I already used some of the sage in a sausage plait the other day.

      Delete