Thursday 8 January 2015

Not Amused

Today it's been one thing after another. 

Woke up late to the sound of pouring rain, and it was still almost as dark as night at 8.30. Didn't want to get out of bed, but there was laundry to do and I had hoped to pop into town despite the dreadful weather.

Perhaps I should have stayed where I was after all. Firstly, when I got out of bed, I bent down to pick something up and ping the muscles in my lower back popped. I have a slight weakness there and my back gives out for no apparent reason every now and then. So, my leg has just about cleared up and I've been happily striding out as usual this week, and now I'm back to hobbling around again, all bent over and groaning every time I have to bend and straighten up. Thank goodness I know from experience that it usually heals within a few days.The only good thing to come out of it, it's given me a valid excuse to sit on the sofa for most of the day with a hot water bottle against the offending region while I knitted away at my jumper. One sleeve has been completed and the ribbing done on the second. I can see the end of it in sight and can't wait for it to be done so I can start on something else. Oh, and another plus is not going out means I had a no-spend day. Had to be some silver lining to today's annoyances. Of course, being a mum and used to carrying on regardless, and despite being fairly immobile, I still managed to get that laundry done and dried over the radiators, and I've also made tuna pasta bake for dinner tonight. 

Second bad thing was DS1 having another streaming cold, the second in just over a month. He always has a serious case of man flu when he gets ill, convinced he's dying and I get a run down of every symptom and how he's going to suffocate because he can't breathe through his nose and he didn't get a wink of sleep last night. I do feel sorry for him, but it is just a cold and we all get them. That's what he gets for working in retail and being constantly in contact with members of the public and all their nasty germs. I've suggested he starts taking some multi vitamins I have in the bathroom cabinet.

Third c*ck-up was DS2 going to the railway station in the pouring rain only to learn there were severe delays in the services out of London due to signalling errors and his train could be an hour and a half late. He was soaked through and decided to come home instead of waiting around, especially as by the time he got to Uni his lecture would be best part over. He did phone to let them know he wasn't going to be in as he also had a meeting with his tutor. Fortunately the notes for his lecture will be online for him to catch up, and he's spent the time at home working on an essay.

Fourth, we had a power cut at lunchtime right in the middle of the auction on Bargain Hunt. I mean...how dare it cut out right then! LOL!!!! Everything went down and the alarm at the car hire business up the road went off, and I was just thinking I'd have to put towels over everything in the freezer so it didn't defrost when the power came back again. Not soon enough for me to catch that auction, though. I'll have to try and find it on the Catch Up tomorrow.

And lastly, DH decided to take the back roads home tonight, drove through a massive puddle, flooded the engine of our old VW Polo and it stalled and then wouldn't restart. So there he is, stuck on a tiny country road in the pitch black for over an hour waiting for Green Flag to send someone out. To be fair, they are very good and someone was with him within the hour and got him sorted out enough he could drive home, but all in all he was nearly 3 hours late getting in, cold and wet and tired out. I had dinner and a mug of hot chocolate waiting for him and now he's dropped off on the sofa, bless him. And...he's just started snoring!

Surely, surely tomorrow has to be a better day.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Lordy be!! May the good luck fairy twinkle her wand over you tonight . Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sorry Helen, but I have to say it. It never rains but it pours. And to compound that , Tomorrow is another day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, it's horrible when you get days like that! Hopefully the only way is up! I hope today is a lot better for you x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good grief - what a day. We have sunshine here this morning so I hope your Friday is sunnier in all ways too!

    ReplyDelete