Wednesday 5 March 2014

Chickpea and Coriander Burgers

I had a lovely couple of hours in Folkestone but that was enough for me. I found it tiring going around the shops and was back home by 12.30. 

I didn't spend much, but got quite a few bits. As well as Poundland, which we also have in Dover, there was a 99p shop and a Wilkinsons. I've been wanting a second deep muffin tin for a while since one of my Lakeland ones went missing (I expect one of my girls borrowed it but all deny having it). I got a lovely one in Wilkinsons for just £1.50. 

I spent £6.93 in the 99p shop on envelopes,a jar of sliced red Jalepeno chilli peppers, poaching pods for eggs, a double pack of scissors (something else that mysteriously disappear), some plastic storage tubs, double-sided sticky pads for card making and scrapbooking and a box of All Bran.I've yet to try the poaching pods, but I do love a poached egg and haven't had one for ages. Has anyone else used them?



Then I went into Primark and ended up buying two long-line ribbed cardigans, one beige, one dark blue, that were originally £10, reduced to half price and finally went through the till at £3 each. 

And that's it, all I bought. But I did have a good time and I'm pleased with my purchases. It makes a nice change to go somewhere different for a while since Dover isn't exactly endowed with a great choice in shops. Unfortunately (or fortunately for my purse) both the wool/craft shops were closed for some reason.

Dinner tonight was Chickpea and Coriander Burgers from a recipe in this month's Easy Cook magazine. I took out a trial subscription of 5 issues for £5. Although I do like the magazine I shall probably cancel it once the trial is over as I don't want to pay full price for it. Here's the recipe. I doubled it, made 12 burgers of which we had 6 (2 each) tonight and the others will be frozen for another time.


400g tin of chickpeas, drained (I used a bag of the ones I cooked up last week)

rind of 1 lemon, plus juice of 1/2 the lemon (I didn't have fresh lemon so I omitted the rind and just added juice from a bottle) 

1 teaspoon ground cumin

small bunch of coriander, chopped (I was lucky enough to pick up a reduced bunch for 32p)

1 egg

100g fresh breadcrumbs (here's where I got to use up the crusts that nobody but me eats)

1/2  medium red onion, diced (I used a regular brown onion)

1 tablespoon olive oil

4 bread rolls of choice

Sliced onion, tomato, cucumber etc. to serve

In a food processor whizz together the chickpeas, lemon rind and juice, cumin, half the coriander, the egg and some seasoning. Scrape down the bowl and then mix in 80g of the breadcrumbs and the diced onion. Shape the mixture into 4-6 burgers (depends on the size you want) then coat them in the remaining breadcrumbs. Chill for at least 10 minutes before frying for 4-5 minutes on each side in the olive oil. (I chilled them all day and they were nice and firm and held together well when I fried them). Serve in the rolls topped with the remaining coriander, sliced onion, cucumber, tomato and any dressing you require.


They were really nice and not dry as I'd anticipated they might be. We had them with Caribbean potato wedges (on offer for £1 in Morrisons) and baked beans. 


I can't really price out the recipe exactly because I'd already had most of the burger ingredients in stock for a while, but it can't have cost more than 20p per burger (so 40p for 2), then another 25p for 2 cheese-topped rolls (pack of 4 for 72p or 2 packs for £1 in Morrisons), 33p for 1/3 pack of wedges and 12p for 1/2 can of Aldi baked beans. Total cost per person = £1.10p. Would have been less if I'd made my own rolls and potato wedges.

Tomorrow is volunteering day and wonder or wonders the forecast is for sun. I got absolutely soaked to the skin last week and had to dry all my stuff off over a radiator in the office. Is spring finally on its way? Let's hope so.


6 comments:

  1. We've been forecast some warm weather over the next few days, hopefully some dog walks will be on the agenda. Hope you stay dry x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last week I sat all morning in wet socks and shoes and couldn't get my feet warm again all day even when I changed into dry socks. The forecast is for dry weather through to the weekend, so here's hoping. Hope its dry where you are too and you get those walks with the dogs.

      Delete
  2. I use paper poaching pods to do my eggs. They are BRILLIANT. Perfect eggs EVERYTIME and no mess. I've silicone poachers from Lakeland and they are #%^*>! Useless they are and hard to clean! Pods I get are £1.99 for 20 from Dunhelm mill, but they also sell em in Asda x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The pods I have are silicone. I'll just have to try oiling them well when I use them. If they don't work out I've only spent 99p on them.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the sound of the chickpea burgers, I still have coriander growing in a sheltered spot in the garden. I have never used those pods, I just use a small shallow pan with a slug of vinegar in the water.

    ReplyDelete