Wednesday 19 March 2014

Birthday Card and Baking

Firstly I want to say thank you so much to Attila for her kind, encouraging words about my weight issues. She really helped and I'm intending on trying to keep my weight steady for a while rather than fret myself silly over losing the last stone. If I lose a few more lbs then that will be a bonus, but otherwise I'm pretty happy the way I am and I'd rather stay here than regain because I'm stressed about losing more and bingeing because of it.

I slept well last night and I'm in a much better mood today. I've made the most of the energy I have by keeping busy. Another load of laundry hung outside and there was a good breeze so it all came in dry. Nipped round to Aldi for coffee. Now that DH takes coffee to work we get through so much more instant and we like Aldi's decaf. I vacuumed through the downstairs and I also made DS2's birthday card. I heard from him this morning and he's spending the weekend of his birthday with his girlfriend who lives near Rochester, but will be over for his pressies on Monday, so I'll bake him a cake then. I'd already suspected it was wanting to spend his brithday with his GF that was the issue over the family dinner; I just wish he'd made the decision earlier before everyone else rearranged their lives on that day.

Anyway, here's his card. No prizes for guessing what his favourite tipple is.



The images were found on Google, and then I manipulated them to create an insert and also sheets of paper to line the envelope. I think a lined envelope adds a nice finishing touch.

DD3 called earlier asking if she and BF could come for dinner tonight before going to rehearsals. Of course, I had to say 'yes' especially as she has the money to return that she borrowed towards her new car. LOL!!! Fortunately I'd already got a large steak pie out of the freezer intending it to make two meals for 3 of us, so instead it did 5 of us (2 girls and 3 guys) one dinner served up with mash, cabbage, carrots and sweetcorn. As DD3 is still cutting out dairy the pastry was made with vegetable fat and she had a jacket potato instead of the mash which had milk in it. Tinned steak and pastry mix were both from Approved Foods, cabbage and potatoes were yellow-stickered (no point buying a sack of potatoes now for just 3 of us), the sweetcorn and carrots were 3 packs for £2 from FarmFoods. I've estimated the meal cost around £1 per serving. 

I also made coconut flapjack to a new Vegan recipe so that DD3 could have some. It had a lot more golden syrup in it than I would normally use, but it was lovely and squidgy in the middle and a bit chewy around the edges, though that might be because I cooked it a bit too long. Here's the recipe if anyone's interested.


Gooey Vegan Flapjacks

200g Dairy Free Margarine (I used Vitalite)
200g Demerera Sugar
200g Golden Syrup
300g Porridge Oats 
75g Dessicated Coconut
1/2 tsp salt

Melt the marg, sugar, salt and syrup together in a pan over a low heat or in a bowl in the microwave. Stir in the oats and coconut. Spread in a 10 x 6 inch well-greased tin and bake for about 20 minutes at 180 C or Gas 4. Cool in the tin, but while still warm ease away from the edges of the tin and slice into bars or squares.

Tomorrow is my volunteering day so once again I'll be busy, and as DS1 will be at his Anime club for the evening we're having a sandwich night instead of a full cooked dinner. 

That's all I have for today. I hope everyone is well and enjoying better weather.





1 comment:

  1. Oh Helen flapjacks!!, I am baking later so a batch (mumbles or two) of these will be on the agenda, I have a lot of maple syrup to use so I may use that half and half with golden syrup. I am with you on the whole weight loss issue. It is better to relax and stay stable than panic and stress about that last stone. Summer is round the corner with better weather to walk and lots of salady things to eat. I am working my way through the freezer but tonight I am rebelling and having scrambled eggs and baked beans on toast. Yum.

    ReplyDelete