Thursday 22 September 2016

Sausagemeat Pie and Cheese and Onion Flans

My mum used to make a delicious sausagemeat pie but unfortunately I don't have the recipe so I concocted my own which can be served hot or cold and was declared delicious.


For the pie I used -

1lb Pork Sausagemeat (3lb for £5 from local butcher) - £1.66

1 onion chopped and softened in oil - 10p

2oz (50g) Porridge Oats - approx -10p

2 beaten Eggs (Aldi - 79p for 6) - 27p

Salt and pepper/ oil - 5p

1 pack of ready rolled shortcrust pastry (Aldi 89p) - 89p

Preheat oven to Gas 6/200C/400F. From the pastry cut out a bottom to line the pie tin and a top. Mix together the sausagemeat, softened onion, oats, eggs (reserve 1 tablespoon of egg to brush over top of pie), and salt and pepper, and mix together well. spread the sausage mix into the prepared pastry case. Top with the remaining pastry, seal the edges together and brush over the remaining egg. Bake near the top of the oven for 30 mins, reduce the temperature to Gas 4/180C/350F for a further 15 minutes. Serve hot of cold. 

Total cost - £3.07 or 51p per serving (Serves 6)

Not wanting to have the oven on for just one pie I also made 2 cheese and onion flans.



For the 2 flans -

1 onion softened in oil - 10p

6 oz/175g extra mature cheddar cheese (Aldi 350g for £1.49) - 75p

300ml pot Double Cream (Aldi) - 69p

3 Eggs (Aldi 79p for 6) - 40p

1 pack ready rolled shortcrust pastry (Aldi) - 89p

Salt and pepper/oil - 5p

Use 1/2 pack of pastry for each flan, line 2 tins and bake blind for 10-15 minutes. Whisk the eggs, and cream together and season with salt an pepper. Sprinkle half the onion and half the cheese in the bottom of each pastry case and carefully pour the cream/egg mix over until about 1/4 inch from the top. Bake at gas 4/180C/350F for approx 30-40 minutes until lightly coloured and set. 

Total cost for for 2 flans - £2.88 or £1.44 per flan. Each flan serves 4 so 34p per serving.

In addition I used scraps of pastry to line 4 muffin tins and a little leftover cream/egg mix and cheese to make 4 little flans, and added a drop of milk to remnants of the egg mix and made DS1 eggy bread for lunch. 


The pie did us 2 meals, served once with chips and beans and secondly with salad and cold new potatoes. The 2 flans are in the freezer for another day. The little tarts made another lunch. And DS1 said the eggy bread was delicious.











2 comments:

  1. I bet they smell as good as they look. Sadly I must shun pastry as I've joined Slimming World. It doesn't stop me looking at them though:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with your weight loss. I also shunned pastry the whole time I was losing weight with Slimming World, but now I've been at target and maintaining for over 2 years I do have some pie from time to time, but only a small piece with lots of veggies on the side.

      Delete