Wednesday 23 April 2014

More Crocheting

I'm not very well today. I've had a sore throat for a couple of days that's making my voice croaky and I also seem to have strained the muscles at the base of my spine so my back's a bit uncomfortable too. The bad back means I've done a lot more sitting than I usually do and when I haven't been wasting time pinging from board to board on Pinterest (am I the only one who can spend absolutely hours on there?) I've been practicing my crocheting and these are the result.




So far I've stuck with doing them exactly as I was taught at the workshop, but I've been looking at alternatives in my huge stack of crafting magazines, and also online, and I think I could probably follow a simple pattern so once the white and purple square is finished I'm going to try another design.

Of course, my back's hurting and I can't stand for long or keep bending over the table and straightening up again, so trust me to suddenly get a real hankering to do some sewing. Isn't it always the case? Using my enforced rest to flick through all those magazines hasn't helped calm my urge to sew as I've seen loads of projects I want to try. I really want to make a padded case for my mobile phone, have a go at making a zipped pocket in a bag, and make myself a simple, tiered, elasticated or drawstring waist skirt for the summer, but those will have to wait until I'm all better.

I do have to try and make a couple of cards over the next couple of days. True to form, DD2 has left it until almost the last minute to ask for a card for her friend's wedding on Saturday and a retirement card for next week. This morning I've printed everything I need for both cards and will cut them out tomorrow, and hopefully I'll be well enough to make them up either tomorrow or Friday. I know exactly what I'm going to do for the wedding card, and more or less the layout for the retirement card. The retirement card will be A4 size so that everyone in the office can sign it, and I need to buy some large white envelopes for that one. I'll post pictures when they're done. I still enjoy making cards from time to time but don't make nearly as many as I used to when DH would sell them to the staff at the school where he worked.

Dinner tonight is nice and simple, just half an Aldi chorizo sausage ring (75p for the half), diced and added to 2 packets of Approved Foods savoury rice 50p for the 2) with half a packet of Aldi frozen mixed vegetables (50p for the half) mixed in. It should take about 20 minutes to cook, and cost around £1.75p for 3 portions (approx 59p each).

That's all I have for now. I'm hoping my back is all better by the weekend so I can get out for a decent walk rather than just hobbling the short distance down the road that I've been managing for the past couple of days.

8 comments:

  1. My back has been playing up over the last few days - it's the worst thing, when you can't get comfortable anywhere.
    Hope you improve soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Mine's a lot better today; I hope yours will improve soon, too.

      Delete
  2. Hope you back and throat get better soon xx your crochet is fab x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My back is a lot better today; the throat is still scratchy and tickly. I'm enjoying the crochet. After so many years of thinking I couldn't get the hang of it I can't believe how easy it is. My trouble now is finding the time for the variety of crafts I love doing.

      Delete
  3. I am impressed by your crochet skills. I could do with you teaching me! Get well soon x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If we were closer I would definitely help you learn, Rachel. After so many years of thinking I'd never learn it took just 2 hours of face to face tutoring for me to pick it. I'm feeling much better today although my throat's still a bit scratchy.

      Delete
  4. I love granny squares!

    And all shades of purple !!

    Hope you are feeling better very soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Lynda. My back is better but my throat's still a little scratchy, though not as bad as it was. I wanted to learn to crochet purely to make granny squares as I love the way they look and how you can use up all those odds and ends of yarn on them. Oh, and purple is one of my fave colours too.

      Delete