Friday 6 January 2017

Today's Bargains

Firstly a big 'HI' to my new readers, great to have you along for my ramblings. 

My dentist appointment this morning wasn't too good. X rays revealed I need another tooth filled so that's an extra £33 to add onto the £19.60 check up charge, plus the £19.60 I spent on replacing the filling that dropped out before Xmas. Also, I've been having problems with a recurring spot at the back of my mouth (right at the back, almost in my throat). It's so uncomfortable when it appears that I usually scratch the top off and it will disappear for a while and then flare up again. The dentist thinks it's an obstructed salivary gland so has referred me for further investigation. My mum died from oral cancer even though she'd never smoked, so I worry when something like this happens. Way to start off the new year with yet another (hopefully minor) family health issue...and it's mine this time!

Today's yellow stickers are courtesy of M&S and Morrisons, and there was an offer on toothpaste in Poundland.







There are 3 x 285g bags of M&S grated mixed Cheddar and Mozzarella for 90p a pack, 500g bag chopped spring onions for 19p, and 2 large tubes of Crest toothpaste on offer in Poundland for 50p each.

Morrisons quite often reduce large bags of excess salad bar ingredients and before Xmas I bought 2 big bags of sliced red and yellow peppers and a bag of sliced red onions all for 19p a bag. These went in the freezer, as will the spring onions, and I break off a bit whenever I need some. Especially great for my soup maker, saving on all the chopping. Two bags of the cheese will also go in the freezer, and one bag in the fridge.

Tonight's dinner used up more freezer items. I cooked a packet of Aldi frozen cauliflower cheese (leftover from Xmas) in the slow cooker before transferring it to a casserole dish, topping with a little of the M&S cheese and crisping in the oven. This was served with mash made from a few remaining potatoes and peas and sweetcorn. Dessert was, of course, rice pud from yesterday. 

I packed the Christmas decorations away today; I only left them up until our visitor left. I've binned a few bits that were really the worse for wear and our angel's china head got broken when one of the cats knocked her over. So, that's Christmas done and dusted for another year. With DS2's engagement I spent more than intended but have still started the new year as usual with no debt. I do have a balance on my credit card for the daybed we've bought for the new house, but that will be cleared from savings when I get the next statement.

I also had to take my meter readings to input online this morning, and luckily we're still a little in credit. I'm hoping we will have moved before the next readings are due so won't have too much to pay off our final statement for this house.

DS2 is understandably depressed today after saying goodbye to his fiance yesterday. DH and I had a long distance engagement for 4 years while he was at university, although not as far apart as they are, so I do understand how he feels being parted. Mind you, at least nowadays there's social media and they can video chat via some app or other for hours for free. We didn't even have a home phone back in the early 80s so I had to go down the road to the call box when I wanted to speak to DH and of course we couldn't see each other during the call. He's hoping to go visit her in March and in the meantime he needs to try and save and find another job with more hours. 

I think I've finally come to the end; this has turned out to be a longer post than I'd intended. I sure can waffle on when I get going. Sorry for that. 

Have a good evening, love Helen xx




8 comments:

  1. Well done in the cheeeeese find! Fingers crossed you get your mouth sorted and it's not sinister x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sometimes get some good bargains in M&S, I cut through the store on the way to Poundland and check the shelves as I go. I'm not too worried about my mouth but need to get it checked out; mum left going to the dentist for too long because she thought it was her dentures rubbing and was worried about the cost of replacement...wish I'd known sooner and I would have gladly offered to pay for her. Ho hum, hindsight is a great thing! Enjoy your weekend and hope the return to work goes smoothly. Love, Helen xx

      Delete
  2. Great purchases, well spotted.
    Good luck with the mouth thing. It's probably fine but that doesn't stop the worry, does it? xxx
    J x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Joy. I pop into M&S a couple of times a week and have picked up a few good bargains in there. I'm not too worried about the mouth thing but obviously need to get it checked out. If my mum had gone to the dentist sooner she might still be with us today so I won't ignore it. Thanks for reading and commenting, love Helen xx

      Delete
  3. wow that cheese is a bargain, nothing worse than tooth/oral pain ouch..hope you get it sorted
    sammie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Sammie. An x ray showed the decay so it needs filling. The tooth didn't actually hurt until the dentist poked at it yesterday and now it feels a little tender but not really painful. I have an appointment for the filling at the end of the month but will bring it forward if it starts to bother me. Love Helen xx

      Delete
  4. Helen instead of being at home in Australia I am here in Brighton. I had a lovely time today checking out your stores and visited Sainsbury, Morrison, a co-op and a Poundland.

    I am sorry for your dental woes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Suze, how are you finding our cold, wet weather? I hope you're enjoying your visit. Are our shops very different from yours? I hate going to the dentist but needs must and I'll be glad when the filling's done and I get the other thing looked at. Have a good time, love Helen xx

      Delete