Thursday 23 January 2014

Moving On

Time for an update.

Firstly I did it. I got my 4st off award and, in fact, I lost 3lb this week (probably courtesy of that stomach bug) and I have now lost 4st 2lb in total. I have slightly less than 1st to go to achieve my target and I'm aiming to manage that by my birthday on 21st June.

Secondly, my baby girl and her boyfriend are moving out. They got the flat I went to see with them having been chosen from all the viewers by the landlord. I think that they are probably the perfect tenants, both in full time employment, no kids or pets, non smokers, no debt. They are moving next weekend (1st Feb). As much as there will be pluses to me for them moving, less noise and hassle, less laundry, lower bills etc. and although I knew they were seriously looking for somewhere and their leaving was only a matter of time, I still welled up and had a little cry when they told me. It's not fair, I already said goodbye to my little girl when she went off to university, she shouldn't get tears a second time. LOL!!!!! Joking aside, I will miss them both since her boyfriend has lived with us for 6 years since he was 18 and has become part of the family. It will seem strange with just me, DH and DS1 here (and the cats) in our 4 bedroomed house, at least until the Easter and summer breaks when DS2 will move back in for a few weeks. At least there won't be any problems with bedroom space.

Thirdly, DH has applied for his first full time job since his breakdown 3 years ago. It's at the college where he's been supply teaching for the past term and a half. He's done very well there, and the head of his department chased after him to remind him to apply because they don't want to lose him. We both have reservations about the pressure he'd be under, but it would be nice to have a regular income and not to worry whether he'll have work at the start of each new term, plus we wouldn't have to put money aside each month to cover the holiday periods as he'd get paid for holidays, and also for sick days and pay into a pension scheme. I'd just keep a close eye on him and make him take a day or two off if I thought he was getting ill again. He tends to be someone who takes all the responsibilties onto his own shoulders and he needs to learn to let others do their share of the work. So, fingers crossed for him.

I think that's all my news for now. No cooking or recipes as I've been using up leftovers. Last night was tuna fish cakes and DH will have the remaining couple tonight. I've already eaten tons today and I'm not really hungry so will probably just have a cup-a-soup and an apple tonight.

10 comments:

  1. Well done on those 4lbs! Big changes afoot for you all :-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the congrats. Yes, it will mean big changes. The house will certainly feel empty for a while...but I feel a crafting room on the horizon since we'll have spare bedrooms. Every cloud has a silver lining.

      Delete
  2. I wish I could lose the podge as quickly as you. Mine has come to a halt again and I`m hovering at the 11 3/4 stone mark. Maybe it`s time to stop beating myself up over it, as the GP`s nurse had told me at the last weigh-in that I wasn`t overweight. I`m not eating sweets or fatty foods, so I should lose weight easily. But, I seem to struggle to get rid of it even so I cycle to and from work every day and cycle most other days of the week, too. As soon as the weather permits I shall be back out in the garden and will have plenty of exercise there. So, if I can`t shift anymore weight I might have to get used to the idea that this is the way I will be from now on. I love cooking and eating good food, but do make sure it`s healthy enough, too. I never have any chunk foods in the house, don`t eat crisps or any other snacks, only have fruit and the occasional home made popcorn. The only downfall for me is bread, I think. I will try to consume less if possible. Unfortunately,
    I have discovered a lovely multi grain batch I now buy from Aldi every week. So, the occasional toast spread with peanut butter and jam has found it`s way into some of my breakfasts. Must try harder to contain my bread consumption, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It could be that you are meant to be a little heavier now you're older. I think that many women look too thin if they try to maintain the weight they were when younger. I was always between 11 -11 1/2 st during my late teens/early twenties and thought I was so fat. Then at 22 I went on a strict Weight Watchers diet (and it was strict in those days) and lost about 2 st in a few months, and ever since my weight has been up and down, up and down. My heaviest has been 15 1/2 st and my lightest was 8 1/2 (I looked like a skeleton although strictly I was still within a healthy height/weight ratio). The last time I lost weight about 9 years ago I got down to around 9 1/2 stone and a size 8-10, but really I still looked too thin. This time I'm going for healthy rather than ultra thin. My goal is 10st 6 which takes me just within a healthy BMI for my height and I hope to maintain at around that weight, either a pound or two under or over. I know some people excuse their weight on having a heavy frame (being big-boned) but I think that's actually true for me. I can be a size 10 and still weigh around 10 1/2 st whereas other people my height (5ft 4) might need to be a stone or more lighter to be the same size. I can actually see in old photos that I wasn't really that overweight at all when I was younger and now at just under 11 1/2 st I'm a size 12 so I can't have been that bad. Most of the time I manage to eat healthily now, but I seem to have at least one pig out day a week. Fortunately I think all the months of healthier eating have changed my inbuilt preferences and I'm always happy to get back to my fruit, yogurt, and vegetables. Although I love it, I eat very little bread because it makes me feel so bloated and makes me retain water. Having said that, its the main thing I crave (well, that and chocolate) when I have a binge. I'm hoping that the length of time its taken me to lose will mean my basic eating habits have altered forever and I can get away with the occasional lapse. I think you're doing most things right, Sarina, and like you say you might have to settle for being a little bit heavier as long as you're healthy. I'm certainly a lot healthier than I was, at over 15st I even struggled going upstairs and now I can run up and down. Maybe trying to cut down on the bread would help you;it certainly makes a difference to me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an amazing weight loss. I am pleased for you. Well done.

    I am sure you will miss your daughter and her other half but they are still around and you will adjust to the change. My Miss 20 flies away every summer holiday and talks of living in Europe. It is just so far from Australia. Hugs and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the congrats on my weight loss. DD is only moving about 8 miles away and will be popping back to Dover all the time to see friends as well as us, but it will still seem strange to have a quiet house after so many years filled with kids, teens and young adults. I'll still have DS1 here, though, and DS2 will be back for the holidays. You would certainly miss your daughter if she moved so far away; my eldest lives a 2 1/2 hour drive away and we see very little of her now.

      Delete
  5. Well done on the weight loss. What an inspiration! I can't even bear to think of the children moving out! Eden will be going to Uni in 2 1/2 years, frightening! I know how fast that time will pass. Other days I can't wait for them all to go and for myself and Malc to have our own lives again!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know just how you feel, Bridget. I have mixed feelings too about the kids moving out. In one sense I've been longing for them all to be gone for years so DH and I can have time on our own again and just please ourselves, but on the other hand I know the house will seem empty and life will seem so strange once they're gone.

      Delete
  6. How fabulous that you've lost all that weight, well done. I think you're allowed a few tears over your daughter leaving home. I had a few when my son left for uni last October and he's only in York (we're in Leeds), so I'm dreading them leaving for good. Good luck to you hubby, I hope he gets the job. As you say, you'll just have to keep your eye on him. Some people take lots of responsibility upon themselves, it's just how they are, but it sounds as though it would certainly make life easier if he had a full time job rather than supply teaching so I hope everything goes well for him. I left a comment on your last post but it hasn't shown up, perhaps it's gone in to spam.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and congrats on my weight loss, Jo. Sorry your last comment got lost; I don't remember seeing it, I'm afraid. My daughter's only moving about 8 miles away, to Folkestone, and my son is in Canterbury about 15 miles from Dover, my oldest daughter only moved 5 minutes away but I still cried when she left home (she now lives in Winchester, miles and miles away). Even though they're not far its the whole thing of them growing up and moving on that's the issue rather than the actual distance. I am looking forward to the house being quieter and (hopefully) tidier though.

      Delete