Thursday 10 March 2016

Changeable

It's been a lovely bright day here today and the sheets and duvet cover I hung outside on the line actually felt warm from the sun when I brought them in. Much better than the rain we had all day yesterday. There's still been a definite chill in the air though, coats and gloves still required for a while yet. After all, we had a dusting of snow on Monday, just enough for folks to have to clear it off cars but not enough to lay on the wet ground. 

So many different types of weather all in one week, no wonder there are so many bugs doing the rounds. DS1 was ill on his week off last week, and he says that many of his colleagues and a friend of his have also been struck down. I am keeping my fingers doubly crossed that I stay well until after DD3's operation next week. I'd hate to get sick and have to steer clear of her when she needs me most. 

DD3 has booked her wedding venue for which we've paid the deposit. If she's anything like DD2 I expect I now have another 15 months or so of talking nothing but wedding preparations. Since DH and I organised our wedding in just 6 weeks, I wore an outfit from M & S, we only invited our immediate families plus a couple of close friends and had the reception at my mum's house and we've been happily married for over 30 years, I don't actually see the point in these lavish weddings that cost thousands and need either saving up for for months (years) or put people in debt for years afterwards. If I had it to do again I'd still do it as cheaply as possible with the minimum of fuss. Mind you DD3 has already bought the bridesmaids dresses using a discount code and re-negotiated the price of the drinks, plus they've saved up most of the cost of hiring the venue already, so at least some of my influence has rubbed off on her. 

DS2 starts his training with English Heritage in Maidstone next week and we were wondering about the cost of trains etc. but it turns out that EH are laying on transport from Dover Castle to Maidstone and lunch will also be provided. As he's  been unemployed since he graduated last July and has only done a few weeks volunteering and a short government-funded course during that time, it will be strange for him to be out of the house on a regular basis. I hope he enjoys it though, and gets kept on once the 6 month probationary period is over.

I think that's all I have for today. Hope the weather's been kind where you are. Love, Helen xx


1 comment:

  1. Paragraph 3 is why I'm not married! Our niece is planning her Wedding for May 2013. Already I'm not looking forward to the cost of attending! It's in York, in two different venues, so it means a stay over and taxis. Grumble grumble.

    ReplyDelete