Friday 13 February 2015

Snot Stops Play On Valentine's Day

Hello, everyone. Sorry for not updating, I was busy over the weekend and at the beginning of the week getting everything sorted to send to the clinic in Sevenoaks for DS1's autism assessment. I spent 4 days on and off wading through years of medical and educational reports going back to when he was about 3 or 4 (he's now 26) trying to decide the most relevant to send, photocopying everything as I didn't want to send originals, and helping DS fill in the forms that came with the application letter. 

This is the middle stage of the process and we have to wait to see if they will actually agree to assess him. The first stage was persuading his doctor to take him seriously and refer him. It's hard to believe that in this day and age this fairly young doctor still seems to think someone on the autistic spectrum shouldn't be holding down a job, or have any social life whatsoever. He really upset DS the first time DS brought the subject up...luckily being treated to breakfast at McDonalds (and a few hugs from mum) helped make him feel better, and the next time I went with him to the appointment and spoke on his behalf.

Anyway, I sent off a fairly thick envelope of stuff and now we have to wait and see. It could be weeks before we hear either way, and if the answer is positive it could be months more before he actually gets an appointment. 

DH is off for 2 weeks half term break after today. We were looking forward to lunch out tomorrow as a Valentine's day treat...but yours truly here has a nasty cold and can hardly sit at a table without snotting all over everything and my taste buds are completely on strike so we're going to defer it until sometime next week when I'm feeling better. I shouldn't complain as this is the only real cold I've had this winter. We're hoping to have a few days out round and about this area rather than going away this year...so fingers crossed for some decent weather. I am sooo ready for spring to come; I'm just about sick of feeling so cold and everything being so dark and dull and dead.

Not much crafting going on here at the moment. I can't even really knit because of my dripping nose. I did cobble together a simple unlined tote bag earlier in the week as a practice for making personal effects bags for relatives to take patients' possessions home from the hospice. It wasn't too good, a bit small and I wasn't happy with the handles, so I'm using it myself and will have another go when I'm feeling better. I prefer lined ones I think, more substantial and all those seam allowances are nicely hidden, so I'll probably go back to my usual method. I haven't even made DH a Valentine's card this year, but have cheated and sent him a free E-card through 123greetings.com. Not that we're all soppy romantic any more but Valentines is another excuse to tell him how much he means to me...and to celebrate with a special meal!

I'm hoping my cold is best part over by Monday as I'm off to Maidstone with DD2, her maid-of- honour and her future mother-in-law for a practice run of her hair and make up for the wedding. The lady who is doing it will come to the house on the actual day, but DD needs to go to her salon for the practice. It's getting scarily close now (May 30th). After over a year of her turning into bridezilla and talking about little else it will be almost a relief when it's over, but I do hope she has a lovely day. I still haven't a clue what I'm wearing and the hen night is also fast approaching and that's a costume do with a female superheroes and villains theme. I am definitely not copying most comic book characters by getting into a skintight leotard and having my boobs hanging out all over the place for that.  I though I might go as Malleficent...suitably evil and well-covered up.

Tonight's dinner will be cowboy baked beans with chorizo served with jacket spuds and salad. Beans and jackets done in the slow cooker. Quick and easy to put together and flavoursome enough even I might be able to taste it.

The weather has been mostly dry here this week, but still very cold at times. I'm just thankful we have only had a few flurries of snow over the past weeks and none of it has settled.Bet I've jinxed things now and we'll have a right old storm before February is out.

Right, that's all. I'm going to toddle off round Aldi's and might even go into town for an hour to get out of the house and hopefully some fresh air will help clear my head and nose a bit. Hope you are all well. Love and hugs, Helen xx

10 comments:

  1. Hugs and love to your family and especially your son. My son was diagnosed at the age 20. This was after years of issues with school and the teachers telling me it was me as I was an ex special education teacher. Since my son's diagnosis he has finished his apprenticeship as a chef and although he has his troubles he is working. I wish your son well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for that, Suze. DS had many assessments etc when he was younger but they were generally inconclusive, although he was said to have autistic tendencies. He always seemed happy and mainly unaware or not bothered by his differences so we haven't pursued it further since he left school, but over the past couple of years he's realised that he has issues and now wants to look into it. Understanding of the range of ASD has advanced over the years since he was last assessed so hopefully he might get a proper diagnosis this time around.

      Delete
  2. My commiserations on the cold and fingers crossed for a speedy recovery. I always line tote bags, it makes them stronger and prettier, I trawl the charity shops for lined curtains, a decent sized pair will make 6-8 bags for 50p each, I cut the bag sides at 19" x 21" and handles at 16" by 4", box the corners to whatever size I want and can run up 3 in an hour. Good luck on the medical front, the NHS is a bit like the Law, they take their time but usually get there in the end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I often use 50p charity shop pillowcases as linings. I was trying out a pattern suggested by the charity but I didn't care for the look of it, especially with the straps not being enclosed between the inner and outer layer of the bag, so I'm going back to my usual method. Thank you for your good wishes for my recovery, and it's just a matter of waiting now regarding DS1.

      Delete
  3. Hope you feel better soon and get to enjoy that breakfast x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Bridget. I expect we'll have a meal out over half term instead.

      Delete
  4. Helen, how goes things. I have missed you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Helen, just checking in to see if you're ok. Xx Miss your blogging x

    ReplyDelete